Sunday, October 27, 2013

Champion 77: Wax wheel rebuild

When I started into the details of cleaning I discovered the awful truth about the wax pot; it looked like it had not been cleaned or filled in years, but worse of all was the broken and missing wax wheel. Sorry don't have a picture of the broken bit.


So when I opened the wax pot it had a rusty mix of glop and without the wax wheel the thread was missing the mess altogether.

I have to admit that I have garnered more useful information from this one video from Graham's Shoe Service thanks so much for that!

The lid casting had one whole side and half of the other side of the wheel casting broken. Fortunately there was just enough of one side pin hole for me to make a drawing of the original part and design the replacement part.







I made a nylon wheel that runs free; I know that the machine stitches fine without a wheel but I'm trying to get back to the original intent of the designers that's all.





Also the wheel on the inside of the horn was frozen solid and took some time to remove and reinstall.

Again, the machine ran fine without either of the aforementioned wheels turning but I would rather use the tension knob to adjust rather than leave it to other parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment